How to complain about an Insolvency Practitioner

R3 is the trade association representing Insolvency Practitioners (IPs) and professionals within the insolvency, business recovery and turnaround profession in the UK. R3 is not a regulatory body and we are therefore unable to investigate complaints about our members. We have provided information below, should you wish to make a complaint.

Insolvency Complaints Gateway

On 5th June 2013, the method for making a complaint about an IP operating in Great Britain changed. Instead of directing complaints to the IP’s authorising body, all complaints relating to a licensed IP’s regulated work should be directed to the Insolvency Complaints Gateway hosted by the Insolvency Service.

The Insolvency Complaints Gateway was set up to provide a common, independent method for complainants to access the complaints system. If the complaint falls within the scope of the complaints system, the Insolvency Service will then pass it to the IP’s authorising body for further enquiries.

The Gateway covers IPs regulated by the following authorising bodies:

• The Insolvency Practitioners’ Association (IPA)
• The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
• The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
• The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
• The Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland (ICAI)
• IPs regulated by the Secretary of State

Please note that the Gateway does not cover complaints against IPs in relation to insolvency procedures governed by the law of Northern Ireland. Instead, these complaints should be made directly to the authorising body of the IP concerned or to the Department of Trade and Industry (DETI) in the event that the IP is directly authorised by DETI.

Complaints against IPs who are authorised by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) or by the Law Society of Scotland should also be addressed directly to the relevant authorising body.

The gateway is not a system for complaints about insolvency legislation or for matters of public policy.

How to make a complaint and access the Complaints Gateway

You can make a complaint in the following ways:

1. Submit the complaint form online: Online Complaint Form 
2. Print the above form and send it to: IP Complaints, Insolvency Service, 3rd Floor,           1 City Walk, Leeds LS11 9DA.
3. Email the completed form to 
4. Call the Insolvency Service Enquiry Line on 0845 602 9848 (Monday to Friday                 8:00am – 5:00pm).

For further information, click here.

You can also access FAQs about the complaints system by clicking here.